- The Fife Arms in Braemar is completely wonderful. An hour’s flight from Heathrow to Aberdeen and a scenic drive of an hour and a half will take you to a really breath-taking spot.
- The Fife was renovated in 2018 by Swiss owners Iwan and Manuela Wirth, founders of art gallery Hauser & Wirth.
- Their incredible taste is evident as you enter the lobby with its twist on the Victorian era, grand sofas, lots of tartan, roaring fires and Freuds, “Child Portrait” (Annie) there to welcome you. As you wander to the living room your spoilt once more with Picassos, ‘Mousquetaire Assis’, which adds to the hotels varied and impressive collection where there’s something to love for everyone.
- But it’s not all about the art. They have managed to create the perfect mix of traditional, Victorian and Scottish interiors with some modern and fresh pieces.
- The staff are friendly, informative and beautifully attired. There’s none of that clipped Four Seasons service, it’s full of character and personality which add to the individuality.
- The chic bar, ‘Elsia’s’, named after fashion designer Schiaparelli, is like stepping back in time to the 1920’s. There’s no better spot for a beautifully prepared cocktail.
- We loved our food. The pub offers what you’d expect for a top range spot, delicious fish and chips or perhaps a venison burger, equally delicious. For Sunday lunch we devoured the roast beef which was truly outstanding. And for breakfast and dinner we were in the main dining room with its incredible stag poised front and centre of the room.
- The open fire kitchen is inviting you to chat to the chefs and hear about all the locally foraged foods.
- Our room was really cosy with its four-poster bed and a generous offering of Scottish whiskey, perfect for a winters romantic retreat.
- Braemah is a tiny village with only 400 inhabitants so there’s not masses to do but for a weekend all we wanted was long and beautiful hikes which are plentiful.
- You’re 20 minutes from Balmoral and I’m told a fabulous local whiskey tasting if you’re looking to venture out.
- We absolutely loved our stay at The Fife Arms and wholeheartedly recommend it.
Need to Know
The Fife Arms, Mar Rd, Braemar, Aberdeenshire, AB35 5YN, Scotland, UK
Option to eat in The Flying Stag, The Clunie Dining Room, Elsa’s or The Dining Room.
Delicious choices of many British Classics
Great Spa with a host of treatments available
From £200 per night