- The Newt in Somerset is now a firm favourite with the Lubelle team. A stunning hotel just outside Bruton offering beautifully designed bedrooms and a world class spa.
- The décor is a mix of modern and traditional and the use of colour in all of the main rooms really adds to the charm. The architecture and attention to detail is second to none, even down to the engraving of the apples on the floor grates in recognition of their apple orchard and cider farm!
- The main living room is a great place to read, relax and feast on their complimentary afternoon tea. Don’t miss out on their scones. In the evenings we relaxed in the bar, which again, is a very stylish room but we did wish the chairs could have been more comfortable. Some of the furniture throughout the hotel does feel slightly too modern and not comfortable enough.
- The bedrooms are all beautiful. We opted for one of the rooms in the main house (we would recommend these) with a garden view. Our bedroom was a great size with a huge four poster bed, the pillows and mattress were dreamy. The en suite bathroom had incredible views of the garden and was the perfect place for a long soak.
- The staff were exceptional and incredibly friendly and chatty and always on hand to help.
- The spa is probably one of the best hotel spas in the UK. It is situated in a beautifully designed converted barn with a lovely indoor / outdoor pool, hydro pool and saunas, salt rooms and steam rooms and hammam. After the sauna we braved the wild swimming and wow does it feel amazing , I can’t recommend it enough.
- Once you’ve relaxed in the spa you can head into the main building for some sensational food. We had breakfast and dinner in the main botanical restaurant and then ate lunch in the café in the gardens. The food really was delicious and all feels very earthy and nutritional even if you are having three courses, including strawberry and cream ice cream! Most of the produce is sourced from their extensive gardens and what isn’t grown is sourced locally.
- Don’t leave without a tour of the gardens and cider farm and then pop into the deli or shop for some retail therapy.
- All in all, this is a fabulous hotel but it’s a shame about the road as you do get traffic noise, but nothing is perfect! We also weren’t fans of the walk from the carpark to the main house as you can’t drive right up to the front door, but then we could probably do with walking off some of the food we ate!
Need to Know
The Newt, Bruton, Somerset, BA7 7NG, England
23 rooms (13 in main house, 10 in the stable yard)
The Botanical Rooms
A menu sourced from the estate
Great spa, with pool, sauna, steam, salt room and treatment rooms
Welcome but no kids club
£255+ per room